[Samba] No startup scripts run at all

DA Forsyth iwrTech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Mon Sep 27 09:01:32 GMT 2004

On 24 Sep 2004 , sfjoe at spamcop.net entreated about
 "[Samba] No startup scripts run at all":

} I believe I didn't clearly explain my problem and the solutions
have
} drifted away from what I was looking for. I used a time setting
script
} as an example, however, no scripts are executed at startup. Even a
} simple script like:
}
} pause

I find under W2k a 'pause' will not stop the script unless the window
is expanded from the default 'minimized'.  Under Windows 98 the
window is always expanded so a pause does stop it.

also, make sure the script file is a DOS format batch script and not
saved in Unix format.  if it is Unix format (single character line
endings) then only the first line MAY execute, the rest are ignored.

I used 'unixdos' port under FreeBD to set the mode at first, but now
I have a writable share to the netlogon through which I edit logon
scripts using a Window based editor.

I don't think the scripts need to be set 'executable' though, since
no other shares need it for Windows to execute something from the
share.

My W2k test box refused to run scripts for a while last week and I
had to set it to 'workgroup mode' and then return to 'domain mode' to
get it to run the scripts properly.  No idea what happened in
between.

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer  -- Institute for Water Research