[Samba] Getting Samba to ask for Username and Password

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 04:28:40 GMT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:18:43 EDT, andyliebman at aol.com
<andyliebman at aol.com> wrote:
> Can somebody tell me how to get samba to ask me for a username and password
> when I click on my Samba server in Windows XP Explorer?
>
> When I click on another computer on the network (Workstation A) from a
> workstation (Workstation B) where I'm NOT logged in with a username:password that
> Workstation A recognizes as having an account, I get a dialog box asking me for
> a username and password.
>
> But when I click on the Samba server from a machine that doesn't have an
> account on the Samba server, I just get a message saying "the resource can't be
> found or I don't have permission to use it. Contact my administrator." Or
> something like that.

all XP machines have an account to log in to themselves/network, and
that is what is passed to the samba.  if that username is the same as
in samba, but different passwords, it will not let you in.  If it
completely doesnt exist, it should prompt you for one..and finally -
you can set samba up to allow guest, meaning if the username doesnt
exist, it signs them in asa guest account (however, if the username
does exist, and it is a bad password, it denies access - there is a
flag to turn that off as well, but then things get confusing with the
worng username/passwords allowing access)