[Samba] Re: samba, wireless, winamp or windows media libraries - slow, hangs

Kelly kellyfelkins2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 23:45:42 GMT 2004

Kelly <kellyfelkins2003 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> When I ask winamp to scan the media library, it appears to quickly
> build a list of the files, and then drops into a very slow mode where
> it is, I think, reading the ID3 tags. I believe there is a network
> handshake issue here. I'm watching the lights on the various network
> devices and little is going on.  I believe something is dropped and
> something has to wait for a timeout before it can continue.

As a test, I connected to the homeplug/powerline network directly, eliminating
the wireless hop. The performance was greatly improved. Winamp apparently
generates a list of all files, then inspects each file. The file inspection is
what was so slow before. Now it is doing a couple a second. Windows media player
is also able to go much faster.

File copies are faster, but not quite as dramatic as the media player stuff.

So I still think that something is hanging and waiting for a timeout in the
original configuration.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Kelly