[Samba] Implementing samba3/LDAP system across several schools

Jim Potter jim at gangermin.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 13:33:39 GMT 2004

I was hoping to do this without trusts - I would like to be able to grow
this to incorporate more schools, and there becomes a point where trusts
are not enough... I've played with a setup like this:

2 domains from the same LDAP tree:

domain SUBDOMAIN with LDAP info drawn from ou=subdomain,o=domain
        sambaDoimainName=SUBDOMAIN,ou=subdomain,o=domain
        users kept in ou=subdomain,o=domain

domain SUPERDOMAIN with LDAP info drawn from o=domain
      sambaDomainName=SUPERDOMAIN,o=domain
      users kept in o=domain

I've set this up with 2 PDCs, and users in ou=subdomain can log into
both systems, wheras users in o=domain can only log into SUPERDOMAIN.
This does work, even if the SambaSIDs of the users do not match the
domain's SID (which is very useful)
   What is needed is a way of qualifying the username to state which
part of the tree it is drawn from.
   For example, if a 2 users named 'fredbloggs' existed, one in
ou=subdomain,o=domain, and one in o=domain, then there would be
confusion, and only one would work (cn=fredbloggs,o=domain, I assume). I
have Netware roots, and in an NDS system with a similar setup, you could
log into a system with the context set to o=domain as 'fredbloggs' to
log in as cn=fredbloggs,o=domain, or you couyld log in as
'fredbloggs.subdomain' to log in as cn=fredbloggs,ou=subdomain,o=domain.
   What would be nice in my situation is to be able to log in on a
workstation in my school as 'jim', and get onto the system at the
community learning centre as 'jim.myschool' or something similar.
(MYSCHOOL\jim ??)

I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound too much like me brainstorming

Has anyone tried anything like this?

cheers

Jim Potter
UK