[Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.3 on FC2: windows machine cannot join domain

Igor Belyi sambauser at katehok.ac93.org
Fri Sep 24 20:57:31 GMT 2004

Tony Fugere wrote:
>  1. Why does %m work? I understand why, but shouldn't it be used
>     instead of %u?
>  2. Does %m work for you (or anyone that has had success with %u)?
>  3. Could it have been some sort of Windows Cache or Samba Cache type
>     of issue?<>

The name of the machine you're connected from is %m, the username
assigned to this machine is %u and this is the name the machine
authenticates itself into your Domain.

IDEALX script smbldap-adduser.pl is necessary to create posixAccount in
LDAP to allow authentication to take place. It is smart enough (got
smarter?) to add '$' tail to the name if '-w' option is used with a name
without '$'.

As per 'all_string_sub(add_script, "%u", account, sizeof(account));'
mentioned previously - it acctually does nothing at all. The previous
lp_addmachine_script() function returns all variables substituted thanks
to the magic of alloc_sub_basic().

Hope it help,
Igor