[Samba] Trouble setting up an Anonymous read/write samba server for WinXP Pro users

Tim Harvey tharvey at alumni.calpoly.edu
Fri Sep 24 19:47:13 GMT 2004

Greetings,

I'm having difficulty setting up an 'Anonymous Read-Write' SAMBA server on a
new system with a stock FC2 installation for use with WinXP Pro systems.

I'm using the following software on the 'fileserver':
  - Linux FC2 installed from the FC2 iso's: kernel 2.6.5-1.358
  - samba-common-3.0.3-5
  - samba-3.0.3-5
  - samba-client-3.0.3-5
  - samba-swat-3.0.3-5
  - system-config-samba-1.2.9-2

Following the instructions and examples in the official SAMBA howto, I'm
under the impression that I want a smb.conf file such as:

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
netbios name = FILESERVER
security = SHARE

[data]
comment = Data
path = /export
force user = nobody
force group = nobody
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

The problem I'm running into is that when I attempt to connect to the share
from a WinXP Pro system by simply using the address \\fileserver in an
explorer window, I immediately get a 'Connect to fileserver' window from
WinXP with a greyed out username set to 'fileserver\Guest' and asking for a
password.  I'm confused - the whole point of setting up an anonymous
read/write server was to avoid having to put user accounts on the samba
server.

I've found that if I open up the address \\fileserver\data I can connect
with no user/pass request.  I've also found that if I'm logged into the
WinXP system as user 'Tim' and I create a user 'tim' on the samba server, I
am not prompted for a user/pass.  Both of these solutions are unacceptable
for what I'm trying to accomplish.  All the howto's and examples I've found
regarding anonymous samba servers mention nothing about this problem.

Any explanation / advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Tim