[Samba] Mixed Network Issues

Jim Beard beard at counterclaim.com
Fri Sep 24 18:10:35 GMT 2004

Howdy Super Samba Subscribers!

	I'm looking for a little advice on trouble-shooting our network.  We
have several large unix partitions that are shared via samba and act as
our central file stores.  Most of our development machines are Linux or
Unix systems.  Some of our business people use mixed flavors of
Windows.   Mostly Windows XP however we have a few older Windows OSs as
well.
	We have had few problems for the past five or six months.  However
last week something strange happen.  One Windows XP system, 2 Windows
98 systems, and a Mac OS X system decided that they can no longer view
the network.  They don't see each other or other systems.  They also
don't see the samba partitions.  Most all of the other Windows XP
systems are still fine.  The Mac OS X system can still mount specific
samba shares, but can't browse to see that they are available.
	The only thing I know of that changed around the time of the problems,
was the addition of a new Windows XP system to the network.  Nothing
seemed weird about its setup and configuration, and it has no problems
with the current networking.
	Obviously I can't expect anyone on this list to know exactly what my
problem is, but I was hoping to get some advice on how to troubleshoot
this situation.  How should I go about attempting to diagnose the
problem??

Jim Beard
counterclaim.com, Inc
http://www.counterclaim.com