[Samba] Restoring PDC after Crash, Confused

jonlists jonlists at cbsol.com
Fri Sep 24 16:56:59 GMT 2004

Samba PDC system drive crashed. running 3.01.

rebuilt system drive - kept the hostname the same, restored contents of
/etc/samba, plus /etc/shadow, /etc/group, /etc/password

PDC isn't recognizing machines for SOME machines. Users appear fine.

I know that I should have gotten the domain sid previously by doing
"getlocalsid" and then restored it by doing "smbpasswd -W SID#"

but my understanding was that you no longer had to do the backup and
restoration of the SID in version 3.0x. Is that incorrect? What did I
miss? Any way out of this other than restoring each machine to the domain?

Thanks.....

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM,Microsoft, Novell/Suse, Sophos Consultants
http://www.cbsol.com
952-544-1108
Blog: http://bingo.cbsol.com