[Samba] Samba and "Enable advanced printing features"

Manuel Capinha mcapinha at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 15:38:41 GMT 2004

Hi all.

I'm having some problems with one of my printers, samba and cups.
The printer is a HP Color LaserJet 5550dtn, working with Postscript.
We're trying to migrate from a Windows based print server to a new one
with Samba and Cups. Since this is printer is setup in a college lab,
we're trying to keep everything as close to the old setup as possible,
to minimize the problems with the users.

I've setup the PS driver in a windows box and the used the rpcclient
technique to copy and set it up in Samba. Everything is fine, except
that we're missing some (lots) of special features in the printer
(like 4/8/16 pages in one, etc...). From my experiencing I gather that
the problem comes from not having "Enable advanced printing features"
checked in the "Advanced" tab under the printer's properties.
So, I check the little box, press Apply and OK but everything stays
the same. I re-open the properties window and the box is, once again,
unchecked!
This is working just fine with the old server. I've setup the level 10
log in Samba but I can't read anything usefull in it..

Please, oh please, don't let this email go un-answered.. I'll buy you
beer if you ever come to Portugal! :)
Thank you

Versions:
Linux distro is Debian testing.
Samba at 3.0.7-1 (debian)
Cups 1.1.20final+rc1-6 (debian)
Windows clients: Windows 2003 Server and Windows XP SP1

This is my smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = LTICIVMAT
	realm = LTICIVMAT
	netbios name = PRINTSERVER
	server string = %h server (Samba %v)
	security = ADS
	passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
	log level = 10
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY
	dns proxy = No
	idmap uid = 10000-20000
	idmap gid = 10000-20000
	template shell = /bin/bash
	winbind separator = +
	printer admin = administrator, "@LTICIVMAT+Domain Admins", webmaster
	cups options = "raw , job-hold-until=indefinite"

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	create mask = 0700
	directory mask = 0700