[Samba] Problem joining domain

Pedro Silva psilva at dcc.online.pt
Fri Sep 24 14:38:56 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have set up a samba server with ldapbackend and now I'm tryng to join a
windows XP machine to the domain.

Every time go through the steps of joining thr domain I get "Access Denied".

I've configured samba to use ldap and alredy done smbpasswd -w <ldap password>
so that it can read the ldap database.

So when I try to join the domain by doing right click on "My Computer" and then
entering domain name in "Computer Name" tab, using the user root and the
ldap password, it keeps giving me access denied.

Checking the ldap logs I see it tries to find the root user in te users
database, but I don't understand why...

Wich user should I be using to perform joining? It's root right? And what about
the pasword, isn't it the same of ldap? If it isn't where do I set it?

I'm using samba 3.0.6 and OpenLdap.

Thanks in advance!
Pedro Silva

/etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
        dos charset = 850
        unix charset = ISO8859-1
        workgroup = LABCC
        netbios name = WINSERVER
        server string = Servidor Windows dos Alunos
        map to guest = Bad User
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap-labcc.alunos.dcc.fc.up.pt
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = cups
        add machine script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl -w -d
/dev/null -g windows -c 'Windows Workstations Accounts' -s /bin/false %u
        logon path = \\%L\%U\profile
        logon drive = Z:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 33
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap suffix = dc=alunos,dc=dcc
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap user suffix = ou=People
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap admin dn = cn=root,dc=dcc
        ldap ssl = no
        printer admin = @adm
        hosts allow = 192.168.0., 192.168.115., 127.
        printing = cups

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side
printer drivers.
        browseable = No

[print$]
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
        write list = @adm, root
        inherit permissions = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

[pdf-generator]
        comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u //%L/%u %m %I
"%J" &