[BULK] - [Samba] Arrggg Samba is not behaving

Johannes-Ulrich Menzebach menze at vitesse.com
Fri Sep 24 07:37:56 GMT 2004

Chris,

I suppose what you are experiencing is a timeout problem. We had that
with a loaded samba server and a bunch of w2k clients hitting the server at the
same time. CPU load spiked and single smbds stuck in a request for (not sure
if I remember the value correctly) some minutes.
These smbds where in D state, presumeably in a system call to disk related stuff.
During that time interactive behaviour while logged on to the server was very
sluggish also esp when touching something disk related.

In the end upgradig to a faster machine (SMP) and better disks helped. We get
that error extremely seldom now.

Also I could imagine that trying the 2.6 kernel might help.
Actually anything that keeps processes doing disk I/O from those long times
in D state. Linux kernel mailing list ?

	Uli

On Freitag, 24. September 2004 09:23 Chris Roubekas wrote:
 >Dear all,
 >
 >    A while ago I posted a message regading the way Samba is behaving
 >and some problems that I was facing with Windows "loosing"
 >the connection with the server...
 >Here is another sample of what my /var/log/messages still looks like:
 >
 >Sep 19 15:08:01 Srv smbd-classic[3499]: [2004/09/19 15:08:01, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
 >Sep 19 15:08:01 Srv smbd-classic[3499]:   read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer
 >
 >Whenever Windows Clients report a "Network or Hard Disk failure" I get this
 >message in the logs and the only thing that I can do is reboot the Windows
 >client. This is a very big problem for me as the Windows machine that matters
 >the most plays MP3's from the server on a 24 hour basis and its interuption
 >means big problem from my boss....
 >
 >I have tried everything. From reinstalling my Linux box from scratch, reinstalling
 >Windows2000 from scratch (SP2) changing network cards, checking the wiring of
 >my network, checking intensity of the network cables (yes even brought a technician
 >to assist me with that because I had no idea how to check that), connected
 >Srv with Win2000 via a cross-over cable (just in case the switcher was malfunctioning)
 >and tons of other scenarios. Nothing! Zilch!
 >
 >Unfortunately I am faced with a very serious problem since this occurs
 >every week (sometimes more than 3 times a day!!!).
 >
 >Looked in google for this. Another person who had the same problem
 >had a solution published with op_locks etc, tried that...nothing!
 >
 >Can someone give me a good idea??
 >
 >Thank you tons!
 >Chris
 >
 >PS: Samba is running on SuSE Linux 9.1 Samba 3.0.2a-51

|     Dr. Johannes-Ulrich Menzebach              menze at vitesse.com     |
|                   Vitesse Semiconductor GmbH & Co KG                 |
|     D-47057 Duisburg Pappenstr. 36     Tel. +49/203/306-1765         |
|     D-44149 Dortmund Borussiastr. 112  Tel. +49/231/6560-186         |
| Key fingerprint = A36C 9660 6A1C 91E6 051E  DF1A 573A 770B DD66 9D9F |