[Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.3 on FC2: windows machine cannot join domain

Tony Fugere tony_fugere at ncsu.edu
Fri Sep 24 05:35:28 GMT 2004

After further review, I don't believe this is the proper approach to the
problem. It seems to me that the %u is being used ambiguously. The logic
of how the published API of the variables and the call to the
smbldap-useradd program makes it important for the documenters to
understand what the tools are doing... not what is happening in samba.
We can see what is happening with the tools by looking at lines 84 to 92
of smbldap-useradd:

# Read only first @ARGV
my $userName = $ARGV[0];

# For computers account, add a trailing dollar if missing
if (defined($Options{'w'})) {
 if ($userName =~ /[^\$]$/s) {
   $userName .= "\$";
 }
}

My understanding is that if I am logged into an XP machine named
"INFERIOROS" and want to join the Domain "SAMBADOMAIN", When the request
is placed by INFERIOROS, the machine running samba for SAMBADOMAIN tries
to look up INFERIOROS. It sees that there is no machine in the (LDAP in
this case) database. So, it turns to the smb.conf file to see what it
should do to add the machine and sees:

add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%m"

After processing through the lines mentioned above of smbldap-useradd
you would end up with $userName == INFERIOROS$

In line 218 where the subroutine add_posix_machine from smbldap_tools.pm
is called the $userName gets passed into line 373 of that perl module
which reads:

my $add = $ldap->add ( "uid=$user,$config{computersdn}.....

Don't we want the $user passed in to be the machine name in this case
since it is a machine we are adding and not a user?

This userName gets passed into subsequent functions and I eventually end
up with a well-formed machine in LDAP called INFERIOROS$ with the four
objectClasses: top, inetOrgPerson, posixAccount, and sambaSAMAccount all
filled with their respective attributes. On the other hand, when I have
the smb.conf using:

add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"

I end up with an incomplete machine record uid=INFERIOROS$ in LDAP that
only holds the objectClasses: top, inetOrgPerson, and posixAccount (I
assume this is from the module handling automatic account creation that
you mentioned)

BUT ALSO,

I end up with an incomplete machine record uid=root$ (my admin user to
join the domain) with the same three objectClasses and their attributes.
(This is coming from the smbldap-useradd tool)

The sambaSAMAccount objectClass is never created for the INFERIOROS$
record and I get the error "Cannot join domain, the user name could not
be found" (approximately).

Obviously, this is not the desired result.

Without investigation into the rpc_src and sam modules and having the
log level configured to report their errors, it is obvious that
something is wrong here. I understand that you, as well as many others,
have not had trouble with %u, but the fact remains that the %u is
ambiguous. The %m makes much more sense for machine name; especially
since it is used elsewhere in the smb.conf. Should the ambiguity of %u
be plucked through in the samba code so that %m is used for machines
instead of this substitution? I will still investigate it tomorrow to
deliver the results of debugging the modules in contest to compare and
contrast the differences in our systems.

The default shell for the tools in the smbldap.conf is /bin/bash,
luckily we've changed ours to /bin/false because none of our users
(except a few) need shell access. Is it also a possible security problem
to have this root$ machine that has no password? I will investigate that
as well to see the implications of a machine with no password and
/bin/bash shell access.

Tony Fugere

-------------------

Tony Fugere wrote:

I'm pretty sure that we have our problems solved by using %m, but I will
triple check and post results in a few hours. I don't really want to
mislead anyone into having a six month struggle as I have had with this.

Tony

-------------------

John H Terpstra wrote:

Tony,

I do not have any proof to contradict your information, however, the source
code suggests that this advice is perhaps suspect.

The particular module that handles automatic account creation is in
~samba/source/rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c and specifically at line 2253.
Here is the very line that does the parameter substitution:

 all_string_sub(add_script, "%u", account, sizeof(add_script));

As you can see, it is the "%u" parameter that is being substituted. Maybe I am
reading this incorrectly? However, I have performed many hundreds of
installations and have always used the "%u" parameter - and it has worked.

Given this background I respectfully suggest that we should understand
precisely what is happening in your situation by examining the samba logs for
the use of this function give both the "%u" and again with the "%m"
parameters. You can turn up the debug level on just this module by setting
in smb.conf [globals]:
	log level = 0 rpc_srv:5 sam:5
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0

Please would test this and report the findings. If our documentation is in
error I want to fix it immediately.

Thanks so much for your input.

Cheers,
John T.