[Samba] Printer name includes IP address instead of server name

Del Stoliker dstoliker at alphagraphics.com
Thu Sep 23 20:39:26 GMT 2004

We made some changes to one of our Samba servers that until recently has
been primarily a print server.  We added PDC with LDAP authentication to it.
Somewhere along the way, a different kind of behavior appeared.  When users
add a printer to their windows machines it now appears as PrinterName on
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx instead of PrinterName on ServerName.  Has anyone seen this
behavior before?  Any ideas on how I might fix it?

Samba version 3.0.7 running on Fedora Core 1

Config info follows:

[global]
netbios name = TITAN
dos charset = 850
unix charset = ISO8859-1
workgroup = AGNET
server string = ASGC Domain Controller/Print Server
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://<LDAP Server Name>
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 100000
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
time server = Yes
add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
add group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
add user to group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
delete user from group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u"
"%g"
set primary group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
logon script = startup.bat
logon path =
logon drive = c:
logon home =
domain logons = Yes
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
wins support = Yes
ldap admin dn = <LDAP DN Value>
ldap delete dn = Yes
ldap filter = (&(uid=%u)(objectclass=posixAccount))
ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
ldap passwd sync = Yes