[Samba] Per-alias shares?

Denis Vlasenko vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Thu Sep 23 15:36:21 GMT 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 17:16, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Thursday 23 September 2004 07:00, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to have multiple virtual
> > servers on the same machine, each server having different shares.
> > Barring running multiple smbd processes, I don't see a way.  Is there one?
>
> Yes! It can be done.
>
> You must create one master server configuration. It will create the master
> server as seen in the Windows networking browser. In its smb.conf file you
> will have something like:
>
> [global]
> workgroup = BIGBIRDS
> netbios name = ALBATROS
> netbios aliases = CRANE MUGABIRD
> include = /etc/samba/smb.%L.conf

Cool! /me copies this mail into "dont del" mailbox.

Maybe you know yet another trick - is in possible to arrange
so that when someone connects to \\box\share, samba ignores
login username and validates user with:

login=share
password=<user-supplied password> ?

This will allow poor souls from Win9x boxes (which as you know
are unable to supply usernames, only passwords) to supply username
as a share name. Whatever I try with [default] and/or [homes] section,
I can't achieve this...
--
vda