[Samba] Re: Log level and debug classes

Igor Belyi sambauser at katehok.ac93.org
Thu Sep 23 04:19:45 GMT 2004

Marco De Vitis wrote:
>>I don't know the answer to that but what I would do - I would turn all
>>trace on and look which file reports the information I'm intereted in.
>>Then look what debug class is defined for this file and what debug level
>>turns the message on.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand: what do you mean by "turn all trace on and look
> which file..."? You mean there is a way to make samba create a different
> log file for each debug class? How?

Debug classes are assigned to particular source files and those are the
files I was refering to. In the debug traces the file name and the line
in the code generating the message are always shown. Therefore, if you
know what message you want to receive in your logs you need to look at
the source code of the file to which this message refer and see what
debug class was assign to it and what debug level was used to print the
message. This will be the class and the level you would want to have in
your smb.conf as a "log level" parameter.

I applogize for the confusion - English is not my native language.
Hope it helps,
Igor