[Samba] mount.cifs doesn't do japanese?

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Wed Sep 22 17:00:03 GMT 2004

Bjoern> there has been a false assumption that a UTF-8 presentation of
Bjoern> a filename never longer than the UTF-16 presentation of the
Bjoern> same name. That's fatal for Japanese filenames. This should be
Bjoern> fixed in the cifs version which will come with kernel 2.6.9.

I have to fix this in my linux-2.4.18 embedded system.  Is it
sufficient for me to just fix the conditions under which calls to
cifs_strfromUCS_le() are made?  That function already appears to
return a proper length value, it just isn't being used.