[Samba] Re: [SLE] Samba, CUPS, or ?

M. Halegua phantom21 at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 22 17:00:38 GMT 2004

I don't believe the problem is with CUPS itself as the printer does print
locally from the command line and from scripts.

If the CUPS daemon was going dead, printing wouldn't work at all.

Since the issue is also that windows systems (which now include XP Pro and XP
Home laptops I tested on the network) AREN'T SEEING THE PRINTER IN ANY
NETWORK BROWSING COMPONENT -- NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD, ADD A PRINTER, ETC. -- it
leads me to believe the problem is with Samba in some way.

Since the same system displays other shares (directories and the pdf printer)
the question is why it won't show the laserjet printer.

Today I tried sonething else.  I deleted the printer and reinstalled it using
YaST (which calls CUPS).  The printer again worked locally, but didn't
display during windows discovery.

I've looked at the logs, they don't indicate any problem.  What I'll do is
copy the logs and include them in my next plea for help.

Can anyone point to something I'm not getting here?

Mark