[Samba] mdk 7.2, Upgrade 2.0.9 to 3.0.7, Help with ./configure

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Wed Sep 22 15:56:48 GMT 2004

Mates,

    In following chapter 35 "How to Compile Samba" I have looked at
./configure --help and I have a few questions. Originally I installed 2.0.9
via RPM, and of course there are no longer RPMs for mdk 7.2.

    On 7.2, smbd and nmbd are installed in /usr/sbin. The docs are in
/usr/share/doc/samba-2.0.9. I don't know where the rest of the pieces of the
puzzle were scattered by mdk by default. mdk 7.2 doesn't put anything in
/usr/local by default.

    Will simply doing a ./configure get things in the right places? Or, do I
need to hunt and find all the pieces and explicitly specify each
configuration option?? If so,

    What do I do with:

  --prefix=PREFIX
  --exec-prefix=EPREFIX

    It looks like --exec-prefix=/usr/sbin is what I need, but what
about --prefix=? Does it get set to --prefix=/usr

The confusion comes in looking at Fine tuning of the installation
directories:

  --bindir=DIR           user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR          system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR       program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --datadir=DIR          read-only architecture-independent data
[PREFIX/share]
  --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data
[PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR    modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
  --libdir=DIR           object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR       C header files [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR    C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
  --infodir=DIR          info documentation [PREFIX/info]
  --mandir=DIR           man documentation [PREFIX/man]

>From this it looks like I should just set --prefix=/usr, forget about
setting --exec-prefix and let it default to --prefix=/usr and the rest will
take care of itself.

Which is right?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.