[Samba] Upgrade Novell 4.11 to Samba 3.0.7 wisdom needed

kent kent at mail.wareham.mec.edu
Wed Sep 22 09:04:25 GMT 2004

Hello,
I ran into this problem in the past but have since resolved group issues.
First of all I am currently using:
RedHat 8.0
OpenLDAP 2.1.30
Berkeley DB 4.2.52 LDAP backend
Samba 3.0.0
(1) PDC (5) BDC many, (1) master OpenLDAP (6) slave OpenLDAP
These reside in different buildings around town.

All groups and users exist in the LDAP directory, there are only a few local
user accounts. I used authconfig to move authentication to LDAP where each
server has a copy of the directory. You should also add a line to system-auth:
account     sufficient    /lib/security/pam_localuser.so

This allows logon to a local account in the event LDAP is down.

In smb.conf in the netlogon share I have:

[netlogon]
        comment = Netlogon share
        root preexec = /usr/local/samba/netlogon/prelogon.pl %U
        path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
        locking = no
        browseable = no
        read only = yes
        hide files = /*.dll/*.rap/*.kix/*.bat/*.pl/

The prelogon.pl creates individual batch files for the user based on group
membership. Here is some of prelogon.pl:

#!/usr/bin/perl
$user = $ARGV[0];
$groups = `/usr/bin/groups $user`;
chomp $groups;
open (LOGON,">/usr/local/samba/netlogon/$user.bat");
#
# Cafeteria maps
#
if ($groups =~ m/whs-cafe/ ) {
print LOGON "net use q: \\\\whs1\\cafeteria /yes\r\n";
}
f ($groups =~ m/whsstaff/ ) {
print LOGON "net use s: \\\\whs1\\staff /yes\r\n";
print LOGON "net use p: \\\\whs1\\common /yes\r\n";
}
close (LOGON);

The first part of the logon process calls either an assigned script that is in
LDAP or the default that is in smb.conf. Here is the default whs1.bat:

net time \\whs1 /set /y
rem \\whs1\pca\PCAnalyser.exe /ignore all
NNN0XXXXXX1PNN535495%apppath%\netdiscover\%computername%.pca
net use H: /HOME /yes
net use x: \\whs1\netlogon
net use p: \\whs1\programs
x:
x:\wkix32.exe whs1.kix

This calls a kixtart script processor script whs1.kix that does stuff based on
OS:

CLS
x:
CD \
If @PRODUCTTYPE = "Windows 95"
        Shell "w9x.bat"
        Shell "@USERID.bat"
EndIf
If @PRODUCTTYPE = "Windows 98"
        Shell "w9x.bat"
        Shell "@USERID.bat"
EndIf
If @PRODUCTTYPE = "Windows 2000 Professional"
        Shell "@USERID.bat"
        Shell "\\whs1\netlogon\runasp.exe whs1xp.rap"
EndIf
If @PRODUCTTYPE = "Windows XP Home Edition"
If @PRODUCTTYPE = "Windows XP Professional"
        Shell "@USERID.bat"
        Shell "\\whs1\netlogon\runasp.exe whs1xp.rap"
EndIf
EXIT

The USERID.bat was the batch file created by prelogon.pl. The additional batch
file and runasp.exe are used to update virus definitions.

Since everything is located in the netlogon directory I sync these at night
with rsync. If a person from one building logons into the system in another
building they get the correct drive mappings based on group membership. Their
logon script exists in LDAP and group membership used by prelogon.pl comes
from LDAP which is common to all servers.

Hope this helps.

Kent N