[Samba] Filename problem (filenames containing slashes aka.\and /)

Mark C. Casey markcc at jadepress.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 08:18:15 GMT 2004

We _cannot_ go about renaming files, for a number of reasons.. the primary being some of the files are technically not ours to alter without a clients permission (names and all) and you don't understand just how many files there are. There are quite probably thousands of files, spread across _hundreds_ of cds and dvds which comes to a total of roughly 400GB.

As to a Mac server, i'm not sure how much they cost but i'm guessing a lot for what i'm wanting.

I'm planning on building a RAID-5 fileserver running Linux (still undecided on distro) most likely running Netatalk and Samba. The server itself i'm planning for roughly 1TB of storage, possibly more. (at the moment in my plans it calls for 6x 250GB hdd's which gives me 1.2TB)

The cost of the above if I use Linux (and build it myself) comes to roughly £1000, which i'm guessing is a damn sight cheaper than a Mac equivalent server solution. (hell that's cheaper than a normal Mac tower)

Mark