[Samba] Folder Permissions

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 21:32:28 GMT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:27:50 -0600, Travis Bullock <tbullock at avmax.ca> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> A couple more issues.  How do I query samba to see which version it is
> running?

if you installed from RPM - rpm -qa | grep samba
if you installed from source - locate samba   (then it should tell you a bunch)
I think you can also look at log.smdb or log.nmdb
and I am sure I made this the hardest possible - there is probably
someting liek smb --version

> Also I understand the concept of chmod to reset permisssions on linux
> folders but if I were to execute such a command to a folder I intend to
> share with a Windows Domain, how do I specify Windows users and groups in
> the chmod command when those users and groups aren't really established
> within linux but merely queried from the PDC?

man chgrp
man chown

one of the two (or both) you can chown user.group FILENAME
and it handles both changes

if you getent passwd or getent group , doesnt it show all your NT users?

I did winbind once (way back when) and I believe set up properly,
linux sees the groups/users