[Samba] Filename problem (filenames containing slashes aka. \ and /)

Mark C. Casey markcc at jadepress.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 13:42:49 GMT 2004

I'm currently in the process of creating a fileserver so some mac guys at the company I work at can save files as a backup medium. (long story short i'm creating a fileserver running samba 3 with 1TB of storage)

However, a lot of the files that they want backed up contain characters that samba refuses to accept (when I try transferring a file to the samba share with say the filename as "test \ test / test" the mac reports that it cannot transfer the file.

I've been told there is a way to use UTF8 with Samba 3 so it can accept these, how can I do this?

Mark