[Samba] Samba server authenticating to NetWare server?
Chris.Richardson at icr.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 13:29:47 GMT 2004
I've been Googling and O'Reillying around this problem for the last
week without success, so I'm either stupid or it's not possible. My
money's still on stupid.
Can someone confirm that I can't do what I want to do:
- Have a SuSE 9.1 Linux box running Samba 3.0 exporting shares by SMB.
- Have users log into Windows boxes running a NetWare client,
authenticating by NDS to a
Netware 6.5 server.
- Have the Windows users mount SMB shares with an encrypted password
authenticated by Samba against the NetWare server, either using NDS
If I've understood what I've read so far, a Samba server receiving an
encrypted password with a mount request must have a local smbpasswd
file to validate it. Is there really no mechanism for passing the
authentication buck to an NDS or LDAP server?
If this is true, it looks like my options are:
- Keep using our outdated, flaky NFS to Netware bridge until it drives
- Use plain-text passwords with the mount requests, or,
- Have separate local passwords on the Samba server.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Dr Chris Richardson - sysadmin, Structural Biology Section, icr.ac.uk
More information about the samba