[Samba] Problem adding users with smbpasswd

Pedro Silva psilva at dcc.online.pt
Tue Sep 21 13:20:54 GMT 2004

Hi!

I've a working samba PDC with a ldap backend configured. I've tried to
add some users to samba with smbpasswd -a command but I encountered a
little problem.

I've made a script that reads a file with user and password info and
executes the following line:

smpasswd -a $user $pass

The problem that I encountered was that I had this information on two
files. The first one I added without any problems but the second it
started to say this:

smbpasswd -a $user $pass
ldapsam_add_sam_account: SID
'S-1-5-21-3317586490-762025270-1437560638-12520' already in the base,
with samba attributes
Failed to add entry for user $user.
Failed to modify password entry for user $user

In fact if i do an ldap search the sid already exists for another user
added in the first file.

Why is samba using the same SID's?

Pedro Silva