[Samba] Incorrect Permissions/Owner on smbmount

Randy Oswald dolphio at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 01:38:21 GMT 2004

I am running a Samba fileserver (Redhat//pandora/pub /mnt/pub smbfs
credentials=/etc/samba/smb.auth,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=666,dmask=777,debug=9
0 0 9 kernel: 2.4.20-24.7, smbd ver: 3.0.0).  I am now trying to mount
a share on this server on another Linux machine (SuSE 9.1 kernel
2.6.5-7.108, smbmount ver. 3.0.7).  I would like to have the share
automattically mount on startup using an /etc/fstab entry.  I would
like the files to be owned by user ID 1000 (my login), and GID 100
(users group).  Here is the entry I am trying:

//server/pub /mnt/pub smbfs
credentials=/etc/samba/smb.auth,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=666,dmask=777 0
0

This causes the partition to mount correctly, and the root of the
partition (/mnt/pub) shows the correct ownership and permissions,
however once decending into the directory, the permissions, UID, and
GID are the same as the files on the server.  I would like *all* of
these files to be owned by UID=1000, and with the 777 permissions
(unless the files on the server are of lesser permissions).

What is strange is I have two other computers (one FC1, one SuSE 8.2)
that use this exact same /etc/fstab line, and they mount with all
files owned by the correct U/GID, and the correct permissions.

This has me stumped, I can't figure out what's different, or if I'm
missing something trivial.

I have even removed the packaged RPM version of Samba and installed
from source, but the problem still exists.  I have also noticed the
same problem on a FC2 install.

Can someone anyone help me?  Is there a configuration I'm
missing/forgot about; has something changed since 3.0.0-15 (the
version of smbmount I have on one of my working setups).?

Thanks in advance,

Randy