[Samba] Problem with Excel on a share with ACLs

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Mon Sep 20 13:24:32 GMT 2004

I don't follow; if the user belongs to a group that has read/write access,
they should be able to modify anything except the file permission bits.
Could you clarify what the problem is?  Also, do you have a default ACL set
on the directory?

> it would be better if samba would do the following
> - create new file intermediate file
> - "cat" contents of the intermediate file on the _existing_ file

This relies on Samba knowing what exactly the program on the user's computer
is intending to do.  I don't think there's any way of identifying this.
Remember that these two steps may be several minutes or even several hours
apart, and there's no reliable way for Samba to tell Excel apart from any
other program.