[Samba] Samba, CUPS, or ?

Mark Halegua msh at farsight-data.com
Mon Sep 20 05:48:36 GMT 2004

I've been going over a problem and haven't been able to resolve it.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to Samba, but I could use some advice
on this.

A few weeks ago I installed a print and fax server for a client.  I used an
old PII system with 64 MB RAM, SUSE Pro 9.1, configured to use Samba and
HylaFAX.  There are 8 client workstations running Window 98 SE (most of the
systems are PII and PIII, so Win98 is the best solution for now).

After getting the kinks out it worked perfectly for about 1.5 weeks.  Then,
one of the people used a different system and sent a print job from a DOS app
through a captured printer port.  The printer driver was for a Brother
HL-1440 laser, but the job was going to a HP LaserJet 5Si (the printer
connected to the print/fax server).

It spewed garbage until one of the users finally went to the printer and
cancelled the job.  Since then most of the users can't print from either
Windows or DOS apps to the 5Si.  And sometimes some of them can, but they
lose the capability later.  Sometimes they get an error message "invalid
access code" or a system error.

The reason I think it's Samba is, none of the systems see the printer in
network neighborhood.  They DO see the system, a couple of folders I've made
available for admin and testing purposes, and the pdf printer Samba has, but
no longer see the 5Si, which they should see as hp_laserjet5si.

I've checked to see, through ldd, the proper linking of Samba to the required
printing and CUPS libs.  They're there.  The printer works properly from the
server itself from the command line and from within scripts (the client
wanted the faxes to print automatically upon receipt, and they continue to
print out properly).

I looked in /var/spool/samba and I saw a number of files, with the
usernames of the people who submitted the jobs, and the group users.  But all
the files were 0 bytes.  When I tried to print one from the command line, it
gave a stdin nothing found message (approximate message, I forget the word
for word).

If it was one system, I'd guess a windows problem.  But the browse and 0 byte
for printer jobs is .... unusual.  I've never seen Samba do this before.

I've reset the server (not necessary, I know, but just in case) and manually
restarted the Samba (smbd, nmbd) daemons, the windows systems still don't see
the printer.

To add to the issue, a file server set up a couple of years ago with SUSE 7.3
Pro is at Samba 2.2.  Thinking this may be a conflict between Samba versions
on the same network, I shutdown the file server, shutdown and restarted the
print/fax server, and restarted the windows workstations.  This didn't help.

As a last try, thinking the print/fax server itself may have some problem, and
to eliminate it as a variable, I set up a different system and set it up as
the first print/fax server and the same thing happened.

I'm totally stumped on this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Here is the smb.conf file:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SuSE
# Date: 2004-04-06
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth0
        bind interfaces only = true
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
        map to guest = Bad User

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        browseable = No
        read only = No

[public]
        comment = a place for common stuff for all users
        path=/home/public
        writeable = no
        browseable = yes
        read only = yes
[users]
        comment = All users
        path = /home
        writeable = Yes
        inherit permissions = Yes
        veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
[groups]
        comment = All groups
        path = /home/groups
        writeable = Yes
        inherit permissions = Yes
[pdf]
        comment = PDF creator
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/smbprngenpdf -J '%J' -c %c -s %s -u '%u' -z
%z
        create mask = 0600
[printers]
        comment = All Printers