[Samba] Copy from Samba to XP Very Slow

Elijah Savage esavage at digitalrage.org
Sat Sep 18 19:19:13 GMT 2004

I have seen a ton of messages on the list in the archives in reference
to this but have not been able to find an answer to it. I will try to
give as much info as possible so forgive me if this messages turns out
to be long.

Running
FreeBSD 4.10
Samba 3.0.7
IBM e305 Server
P4 2.0ghz
1gig of ECC Memory
Boot Drive 40gig IDE
Data Drive 250gig 8meg cache IDE
2 built in Gigabit Controllers

Network/Home Office
6 XP Machines
Cisco 2924 100mbit switch
Hawkings 4 Port Gigabit switch

Samba Server and Small Business Server plugged in to a hawkings gigabit
switch which is crossed over to port 24 on the cisco switch. The Samba
Server is just a member/file server in the domain.

Problem
When copying or moving files from the Samba shares to any machine on the
network it is terribly slow, but copying files from the XP clients to
the samba shares are blazing fast and the test has been run with no
other network traffic going on. On the Cisco switch I see no errors on
any of the ports and a netstat -I from the Samba/File server shows this
below.

netstat -i
Name    Mtu Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts
Oerrs  Coll
bge0   1500 <Link#1>    00:02:55:b7:38:bb   556950     0   627924     0
0
bge0   1500 192.168.2     192.168.2.2       557672     -   629058     -
-

If I ftp to and from the samba server I get great results which are
extrememly fast it is only the drag and drop from the samba share to XP
machines which is being done via mapped drives on the XP machines. All
the XP machines have a Intel Pro/1000 Desktop gigabit adapter in them.
There is nothing showing up in any of the logs files log.smbd or
log.nmbd or the winbindd log. I have not found anything in event Viewer
on SBS2003 server either that would lead me to some sort of explanation.
If I try to stream a dvd from the samba share it will not even play or
plays 1 frame per second, put that same dvd on my SBS server and it
plays fine.

Here is my simple config I tried to keep it as simple as possible until
I can nail down the slowness issue, any help would be greatly
appreciated.

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = DIGITALRAGE