[Samba] Samba NT Domain Controller Help & Possible Walkthrough Please

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu
Sat Sep 18 18:35:03 GMT 2004

Debug Account írta:

>Hello,
>
>Well a How-To Guide said to use that command after everything is setup. I tried using Windows 2000 Client to join the domain, but it would not, said domain dns lookup failed. Any help?
>
>Mike
>
>--- Gémes Géza <geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu> wrote:
>Debug Account írta:
>

>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>I have done my reading & research and everything I try is coming to different errors, so I am going to beg & pray someone here can help me with my problem. I appericiate any help in advance! I am running Samba 2.2.11 on a RedHat Linux 7.3 Server, connected to a network of Windows 2000 & XP Machines. I want to configure Samba to be the Domain Controller for my other machines. Before I was getting an error on a old copy of Samba (2.2.2a i think), then I upgraded to 2.2.11, and when I run the smbpasswd -j domainname , I get this error:
>>
>>ERROR: Must have both SECURITY = DOMAIN and ENCRYPT PASSWORDS = YES!
>>
>>My Security = Users
>>and Encrypt Passwords = Yes
>>
>>I want Samba to be the domain controller,
>>

>Then why do you want it to join its own domain?
>You just need to have domain logons = yes  for a domain controler and
>domain master = yes if this is the primary domain controler (which is
>the case, if this is the first, or the only one domain controler on your
>network).
>And then join the clients to this newly created domain.
>

>>I don't want to have samba rely on Windows2k as the domain controller, so this is why I don't have it set Security = Domain. If anyone can please provide me with some very helpful information or a small working config file, please do.
>>
>>Domain name = Hinata-Inn-NT
>>Domain Controller's PC Name: Tama-Chan-PDC
>>
>>Thank you very much,
>>Mike

>Cheers,
>
>Geza

I supose you should have
workgroup = Hinata-Inn-NT
instead of
Domain name = Hinata-Inn-NT
but we (the list) could give you more help if you would post your actual
smb.conf, so that we could tell you wat's wrong with it.
Other question: what kind of password backend are you wanting to work
with tdbsam, ldapsam, or other.

Cheers,

Geza