[Samba] Re: Cannot join SAMBA domain from XP/2K

Alexei Monastyrnyi alexeim at orcsoftware.com
Sat Sep 18 08:02:23 GMT 2004

Hi.

>> Not necessarily... My IDEALX scripts are configured to store SAMBA
>> machines in ou=Computers.
>

> Then that is your problem, in a sense.  While posix accounts are
> created wherever you tell idealx to make them, the system is having
> trouble finding them.  Samba is limited to the environment it is
> running in, in that it uses the getpwnam call (somebody tuna slap me
> if I'm using the wrong call here) and that searches under ou=People
> unless you've reconfigured nss_ldap.
> That being said you either need to reconfigure the passwd (and maybe
> shadow) line in your ldap.conf file or start storing everything in
> ou=People.  If you're not doing anything else with ldap that you don't
> want machine accounts showing up in then I'd suggest the latter route.

I did change it (of coarse). Sorry I didn't' put all necessary extracts
from configs in my first postings...

In ldap.conf I have
scop                    sub
pam_filter              objectclass=posixAccount
pam_login_attribute     uid
nss_base_passwd         dc=mydomani,dc=com?sub
nss_base_group          dc=mydomain,dc=com?sub

>>> Did you check your LDAP tree if Posix record was added for machine?
>>

>> Positive. Posix machine account is created during join operation,
>> under ou=Computers, as it is desired...
>

> But is it modified to include the sambaSamAccount object class and
> requred attributes?  My guess is no.

You're right... That is what bothers me... :-)

A.