[Samba] Re: Cannot join SAMBA domain from XP/2K

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Sat Sep 18 01:52:24 GMT 2004

Igor Belyi wrote:

> Paul Gienger wrote:
> > Alexei Monastyrnyi wrote:
>
>>> Not necessarily... My IDEALX scripts are configured to store SAMBA
>>> machines in ou=Computers.
>>

>> Samba is limited to the environment it is running in...
>

> In short, it is borken and you'll need to have both machine and user
> accounts in the same location in LDAP for now.
>
> I'll try to look in the code but I promise nothing. :o)

It's not so much broken as it is designed for a particular purpose and
limited by that decision.  There is a bug filed against it that explains
most of the reasoning but I can't remember the number.  To paraphrase
(and probably mangle) the intent... they decided to require machine
accounts to be 'users' because that is what you have to do to assign
rights to a machine, which is a perfectly logical operation under the
windows system.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.