[Samba] Samba NT Domain Controller Help & Possible Walkthrough Please

Debug Account debug at techemail.com
Fri Sep 17 23:25:00 GMT 2004

Hello,

Well a How-To Guide said to use that command after everything is setup. I tried using Windows 2000 Client to join the domain, but it would not, said domain dns lookup failed. Any help?

Mike

--- Gémes Géza <geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu> wrote:
Debug Account írta:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I have done my reading & research and everything I try is coming to different errors, so I am going to beg & pray someone here can help me with my problem. I appericiate any help in advance! I am running Samba 2.2.11 on a RedHat Linux 7.3 Server, connected to a network of Windows 2000 & XP Machines. I want to configure Samba to be the Domain Controller for my other machines. Before I was getting an error on a old copy of Samba (2.2.2a i think), then I upgraded to 2.2.11, and when I run the smbpasswd -j domainname , I get this error:
>
>ERROR: Must have both SECURITY = DOMAIN and ENCRYPT PASSWORDS = YES!
>
>My Security = Users
>and Encrypt Passwords = Yes
>
>I want Samba to be the domain controller,

Then why do you want it to join its own domain?
You just need to have domain logons = yes  for a domain controler and
domain master = yes if this is the primary domain controler (which is
the case, if this is the first, or the only one domain controler on your
network).
And then join the clients to this newly created domain.

> I don't want to have samba rely on Windows2k as the domain controller, so this is why I don't have it set Security = Domain. If anyone can please provide me with some very helpful information or a small working config file, please do.
>
>Domain name = Hinata-Inn-NT
>Domain Controller's PC Name: Tama-Chan-PDC
>
>Thank you very much,
>Mike

Cheers,

Geza