[Samba] Re: Cannot join SAMBA domain from XP/2K

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Sep 17 22:44:47 GMT 2004

> Not necessarily... My IDEALX scripts are configured to store SAMBA
> machines in ou=Computers.

Then that is your problem, in a sense.  While posix accounts are created
wherever you tell idealx to make them, the system is having trouble
finding them.  Samba is limited to the environment it is running in, in
that it uses the getpwnam call (somebody tuna slap me if I'm using the
wrong call here) and that searches under ou=People unless you've
reconfigured nss_ldap.

That being said you either need to reconfigure the passwd (and maybe
shadow) line in your ldap.conf file or start storing everything in
ou=People.  If you're not doing anything else with ldap that you don't
want machine accounts showing up in then I'd suggest the latter route.

>> Did you check your LDAP tree if Posix record was added for machine?
>
> Positive. Posix machine account is created during join operation,
> under ou=Computers, as it is desired...

But is it modified to include the sambaSamAccount object class and
requred attributes?  My guess is no.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.