[Samba] Samba NT Domain Controller Help & Possible Walkthrough Please

Debug Account debug at techemail.com
Fri Sep 17 18:05:14 GMT 2004

Hello everyone,

I have done my reading & research and everything I try is coming to different errors, so I am going to beg & pray someone here can help me with my problem. I appericiate any help in advance! I am running Samba 2.2.11 on a RedHat Linux 7.3 Server, connected to a network of Windows 2000 & XP Machines. I want to configure Samba to be the Domain Controller for my other machines. Before I was getting an error on a old copy of Samba (2.2.2a i think), then I upgraded to 2.2.11, and when I run the smbpasswd -j domainname , I get this error:

ERROR: Must have both SECURITY = DOMAIN and ENCRYPT PASSWORDS = YES!

My Security = Users
and Encrypt Passwords = Yes

I want Samba to be the domain controller, I don't want to have samba rely on Windows2k as the domain controller, so this is why I don't have it set Security = Domain. If anyone can please provide me with some very helpful information or a small working config file, please do.

Domain name = Hinata-Inn-NT
Domain Controller's PC Name: Tama-Chan-PDC

Thank you very much,
Mike