[Samba] Re: Antwort: Re: large file support >4GB(nt4.0sp5->smb3.0.6-suse9.0-kernel2.4.21)

chris at gensler.to chris at gensler.to
Fri Sep 17 00:19:26 GMT 2004

Thanks for confirmation!

Seems as if quota was "not quilty". I now installed quota support and
enabled it, and now the "sys_get_vfs_quota() failed" messages are gone
from the log - but copying is impossible.

To test ext3, I used a "looped" 10GB file formatted ext3, mounted and
exported by samba - and it works!

So, ext3 seems to be a better choice than reiser for large file support
on samba.

But I'm pretty upset on having reiser and samba not working together
with large files in 2004, when file sizes of >4GB are supported within
windows world since years, with none of the problems I've seen now in
linux. Nowadays such "experiments" sould not be required on a "modern
OS".

Kernel 2.6.x is not an option, as there's no highpoint driver available
for it today (no binaries, buggy sources, buggy makefile ... - rely on
it!), and lotus domino refuses to run stable (5.0.12, hangs after 2
hours). Running samba is not the only requirement here!!

So, I possibly have to change to ext3, if there's no other way - but my
decision to reiser was not by random, there were some "pro"s for it.

What a sh*t.

Chris