[Samba] "chdir failed" - could someone please explain what this error mea ns?

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Thu Sep 16 15:56:19 GMT 2004

For some time now I've had this type of error showing up in my logs:

[2004/09/16 11:52:08, 0] smbd/service.c:set_current_service(56)
  chdir (/export/downloads) failed

I've Googled, I've looked at the source, and I still can't understand why
this error appears.  What's really odd is that everything seems to work
fine, in spite of the error.  Could someone please explain what it means?
I'm concerned that it may somehow be related to the mysterious ACL
propegation problems I've been having.

For reference, here are the permissions on /export/downloads:
# file: downloads
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:mirror:r-x
group::rwx
group:INTERCLEAN+Domain\040Users:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:user:mirror:r-x
default:group::rwx
default:group:INTERCLEAN+Domain\040Users:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

I'm running Samba 3.0.5-Debian, but the error has persisted for several
versions.  I'm using ext2fs ACL support.

---

David Brodbeck, System Administrator
InterClean Equipment, Inc.
3939 Bestech Drive Suite B