[Samba] Samba Printer Accounting

Filipi Vianna filipi at em.pucrs.br
Thu Sep 16 14:07:55 GMT 2004

Ryan Verner wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm looking for a piece of software I can use for accounting printers shared
> on a Linux box via Samba, to Win98/2K/XP machines on a domain.  In other
> words, I want to be able to give user a print quota (say, $3.00), then charge
> them 10c per page they print from a Windows client to a printer shared from a
> Linux box running Samba.  If they're out of quota, it doesn't print (and
> doesn't tie up the print queue for everybody else).
>
> I can't find any workable solutions.  I tried PrintBill, but it's rather
> buggy, it tends to jam up queues randomly,  and requires a Postscript driver
> and as a result there's all sorts of ways to bypass it.
>
> I'm more than happy with a commercial solution.  I just want something that
> works :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan
>
> --
> Qbalt Project (http://www.qbalt.com/)

This software does just what you want.
http://www.ib.unicamp.br/ibquota/

Unfortunately all the docs are in portuguese (the fish can help
to handle this - http://babelfish.altavista.com)

But the software is realy god. You can manage quotas from an
web frontend. It requires apache, php, mysql and of course
samba and cups.

I hope it helps.

Regards,
--
Filipi Vianna
Laboratório de Mecânica Computacional (DEMM)