[Samba] Samba and Windows XP

Nikola Vanevski nino at postbank.com.mk
Thu Sep 16 09:03:20 GMT 2004

Jason Johnson wrote:

 > That gave me an invalid password error.  Even though my password is
 > correct. This is the strangest thing I have ever seen
 > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Simone" <simone72 at email.it>

That is an issue I run into repeatedly with Windows XP - it uses cached
passwords. If you had made an error logging to a Samba server, XP won't
even try to log you again second time, it will just report an error. I
solve it by changing the samba password if it is not the same as the XP
one, and then rebooting the XP client to "forget" all cached passwords.
If passwords are the same, just reboot the XP box.

I never get this behaviour with Win2K clients, though.

Best,
Nino