[Samba] mount -t smbfs

Scott Ainslie scott.ainslie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 08:45:34 GMT 2004

SME Server 6.0.1 as standalone (Domain controler, mail & file server)
samba version 2.2.8a

I have a win95 machine on my network logged onto the domain with it's
d drive shared with full access and no password.

On server-manager I have setup a hostname for this machine based on
mac address so that the DHCP server gives it the same IP every time.

I have created a directory /mnt/win

I can ping the machine name 'tarryn'

When I try:
mount -t smbfs //tarryn/d /mnt/win

I get the error:
Connection to tarryn failed
SMB connection failed

If I try: mount -t smbfs //tarryn/d /mnt/win -o ip=192.168.196.44
then I get the error:
session request to TARRYN failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)

Can anyone please help, I am desperate!

Thanks
Scott