[Samba] Samba Printer Accounting

Ryan Verner xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au
Thu Sep 16 03:20:45 GMT 2004

Howdy,

I'm looking for a piece of software I can use for accounting printers shared
on a Linux box via Samba, to Win98/2K/XP machines on a domain.  In other
words, I want to be able to give user a print quota (say, $3.00), then charge
them 10c per page they print from a Windows client to a printer shared from a
Linux box running Samba.  If they're out of quota, it doesn't print (and
doesn't tie up the print queue for everybody else).

I can't find any workable solutions.  I tried PrintBill, but it's rather
buggy, it tends to jam up queues randomly,  and requires a Postscript driver
and as a result there's all sorts of ways to bypass it.

I'm more than happy with a commercial solution.  I just want something that
works :-)

Thanks,

Ryan

--