[Samba] force user problem

Mac mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 13:31:28 GMT 2004

>I have samba 3.0.4 set up as a PDC and have a problem with using "force user"
> with thie following share:
>
>[shared]
>  path = /usr/local/samba/shared
>  write list = usera, userb, userc
>  force user = usera
>  guest ok = true
>
>If I try to write a file from an XP system as usera I get an "Access is denied"
>failure.  If I take out the "force user" line there is no problem!

There's a known bug in Samba using 'write list' and 'force user'.

See :-

	http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/WHATSNEW-3-0-7.txt

(the section for 3.0.6)

So you need to upgrade.  And you should jump directly to 3.0.7 to get
rid of the vulnerability recently fixed.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)