[Samba] change Active Directory Password with client tools (smbpasswd, net arp) ?

Hansjoerg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Tue Sep 14 17:04:57 GMT 2004

Hi

I am trying to change the password of an User in an Active Directory
using the samba client tools (samba 3.0.7).

A normal user can change the password using
smbpasswd -r ADSERVERNAME

But now a user forgetts his password, and I want to change it as an user
"ADMINUSER",
who has admin rights in the domain.

Is  there a command, weher I can do something like this:
smbpasswd -r ADSERVERNAME USERNAME -U ADMINUSER

The command should print for the ADMINPASSWD of ADMINUSER and for the
new passwd of USERNAME,
who's passwd has to be reset.

net -S ADSERVERNAME -U  ADMINUSER rap password USERNAME "" newpass

Does nor work to

If I do an ethereal,
the answer of ADSERVERNAME is
SAMOEMCHANGEPASSWORD (214)

Is it possible to change a userpasswd as admin with the client tools
without knowing  the old password

Thank you very much

Dr.  Hansjoerg Maurer           | LAN- & System-Manager

Deutsches Zentrum               | DLR Oberpfaffenhofen
  f. Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.   |
Institut f. Robotik             |
Postfach 1116                   | Muenchner Strasse 20
82230 Wessling                  | 82234 Wessling
Germany                         |

Tel: 08153/28-2431              | E-mail: Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Fax: 08153/28-1134              | WWW: http://www.robotic.dlr.de/