[Samba] Re: SAMBA & ISAM Databases

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Sep 14 17:01:21 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 10:29, komal wrote:
> > I'd suspect the problem in smbfs, not samba. What happens if you use the
> > application directly on the samba server without smbfs in between?
> >
> > Volker
>
> Excuse me what is a difference between smbfs and samba ?

smbfs is a file system driver interface in the Linux kernel. Samba is a user
space file and print server. Samba sources includes some user space tools for
interacting with smbfs. The tools are smbmount, smbumount, etc. and are
included in the samba source code because they use some of the samba
libraries/code modules.

smbfs is a work that is idependent of samba. It has been replaced with cifsfs
in the 2.6 kernel.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra