[Samba] which version to install/???

DA Forsyth iwrTech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Tue Sep 14 15:49:30 GMT 2004

Hello all

now that I have finally got CyrusSASL to authenticate....

next up is installing Samba

I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1 and have the options in the ports tree of
2.2.11
and
3.0.6

In my test server intall I used 2.2.8 with success, and it is still
running at home on a P166.... as a PDC

but here at work it must work for mostly Win98SE machines, plus a
couple of Win2000 and XP laptops.  And in the future we'll have more
W2k and XP of course.  22 seats this month, more in the future.
I will be using disk quotas if that makes any difference, and may use
recycle bins.

I'm seeing a lot of comment here on problems with the 3 series Samba
so I'm wondering if I should use it or wait for the 3.1 series (-:

Thanks for all advice

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer  -- Institute for Water Research