[Samba] SAMBA & ISAM Databases

Pepe Guimarães pg at moose-software.com
Tue Sep 14 08:23:09 GMT 2004

 I have a heterogeneous network with a R.H. Linux server running Samba
3.0.5 and various
Win clients (from Win 98 to Win XP Pro). On a Samba share I have an ISAM
database (Access, FoxPro etc. like)
that is being accessed by applications running on the Win clients and by
applications running in Linux.
I have disabled "opplocks" in both Win9x clients and on the Samba share.
I have "mounted" the Samba share on the Linux server so that Linux
applications are "pathed"
to the share and accessing the data there.

The problem arises with locks. Files locked by the Win clients are
seeing as locked by Win
clients but not by Linux and viceversa.

Any solution for this?
I have "played" with options in Samba (level2 oplocks, veto oplocks,
locking,
kernel oplocks, etc.) without any improvements. One thing that I have
clear is oplocks = no.

Other parameters we have tried:

To be more specific:
Network name for Linux machine: pepe
Name of Samba share (as seen by Win clients) : testdata
Directory where data is on linux machine : /u/testdata

Thus data can be accessed by: //pepe/testdata

Mount point for Samba share in Linux: /

Comand given to mount Samba share:

mount -t smbfs -o username=whatever,password=key //pepe/testdata
/testdata

Checked mounting with:

mount

gives me : //pepe/testdata mounted on /testdata type smbfs (o)    <---
By the way: what means the (o)?

Then I make the paths to access the data from Linux to be /testdata and
fron win clients to be //pepe/testdata

Can you see anything wrong?

Tests I am going to make are:

1-Modify the name of the Samba share so that  "share name <> name linux
directory"
2-Mount the Samba share at another point rather than /
3-Try to access the data from Linux with the same full path as Win
clients. In the above case //pepe/testdata rather than /testdata

Finally:
 shouldn't "posix locking = yes" in smb.conf give consistent locking
between SMB and posix (NFS or local) access?

TIA

José  Guimarães [ pg at moose-software.com ]
Director
Moose Software