[Samba] problem adding an user as non-Manager with smbldap-tools

Thomas Guenther thomas.guenther at gmx.de
Tue Sep 14 06:11:46 GMT 2004

Hello,

at first please excuse my poor english.

I did my Samba-OpenLDAP-PDC configuration as described in
"The Linux Samba-OpenLDAP Howto (Revision 1.6)". I took
Fedora Core 1 and it works. The same configuration (e.g. ACLs
in slapd.conf) does not work with my "self-compiled" Samba-
OpenLDAP-PDC at Debian

I am using Debian (woody), kernel 2.4.27-pre2. I compiled
- Berkley DB 4.2.52
- openssl 0.9.7d
- (openldap 2.2.15) now openldap 2.2.16
- (samba 3.0.6 (with patches, incl. samba.schema)) now samba 3.0.7
- smbldap-tools 0.8.5
- libnss-ldap_186
- libpam-ldap-140

If I do a 'smbldap-useradd -m test1' I get an error:

<---------------------------------------------------------------------
failed to add entry: no write access to parent at
/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd line 288, <DATA> line 283.

failed to add entry: No such object at /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd
line 444, <DATA> line 283.
--------------------------------------------------------------------->

If I do again a 'smbldap-useradd -m test1', I get this error:

<---------------------------------------------------------------------
failed to add entry: no write access to parent at
/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd line 288, <DATA> line 283.

User "test1" already member of the group "513".

failed to add entry: No such object at /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd
line 444, <DATA> line 283.

smbldap-useradd can add user 'test1' to group 'Domain Users' but can
not create an unix account?

It works with 'cn=Manager' for masterDN and slaveDN. But it gives errors
and does not work with 'cn=smbldap-tools'.

Have you any idea?

regards,
Thomas