[Samba] Migrate BACK to WINDOWS -> Talk me out of it QUICK

Andrew Best festivus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 02:24:21 GMT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:17:21 -0500, Chris McKeever <techjedi at gmail.com> wrote:
> One other option is just ot house a ginormous WIN-TSRV at the central
> location.  However, I am afraid of issues with printing back to the
> remote locations (pushing large files through the 1/2 T-1 to print).

My comment is not strictly samba related but if your thinking of
running a Windows Terminal farm you should look at Citrix Presentation
Server (AKA Metaframe).
The bells and whistles you gain by using it make it worthwhile (load
balancing, client printer redirection, better client/server protocol).
Specifically, printing to client printers under Citrix/ICA is A LOT
easier to manage than just a straight RDP session.

If you are considering running terminal servers which may access samba
servers, you should be aware of the effects the network redirector in
Windows Terminal Server has on Samba processes. Theres stuff in the
archives about it.

cheers
Andrew

--
"If you wash lousy clothing at low temperatures, all you get is cleaner
lice" - Dr John Maunder