[Samba] Can't get logon script option working with PDC

Mark Murphy mmurphy000 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 12 17:29:03 GMT 2004

Environment: 	Samba 3.0.6 on FC2 as PDC (replacing an NT 4.0 PDC)
		Windows 98/ME/2K/XP desktops on the domain

I can't seem to get "logon script" to function. My [netlogon] share
exists, the batch file is there, and if I manually run
\\MAINSERVER\netlogon\logon.bat, it runs just fine. However, it doesn't
run on login.

I set "log level" to 3 and poked through the results. I can see where
clients are accessing [netlogon], but I see no evidence that they're
even requesting logon.bat.

Here's the relevant snippets out of smb.conf:

[global]
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         log level = 0
         load printers = yes
         idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
         domain master = yes
         preferred master = yes
         local master = yes
         winbind use default domain = no
         passdb backend = tdbsam
         template shell = /bin/false
         dns proxy = no
         netbios name = MAINSERVER
         printing = cups
         server string = Samba Server
         idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
         workgroup = SNICKLEFRITZ
         os level = 65
         printcap name = /etc/printcap
         security = user
         max log size = 50
         domain logons = yes
         logon script = logon.bat
         logon path =

[netlogon]
#       browseable = no
         path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
         read only = yes
         write list = foo, bar

It feels like things should be working, based on the docs I've read
(including both Samba-3 books), but I'm obviously missing something...

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mark Murphy
mmurphy at arroco.com