[Samba] failing to print 'point-n-print'

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 08:25:13 GMT 2004

Samba 3.0.6

I have successfully gotten other printers to work using the
'point-n-click' method for downloadable drivers.  However, playing
with one printer leads to failed results.

I have created the CUPS port/printer, added it to samba and then used
the Windows APW to upload the drivers.  After upload, the print
properties windows readjusts for the new printer options - I have
checked the print$ directory on the samba box and the files are there
- and doing an enumprinters displays the uploaded driver associated
with the correct printer.

I am able to right click 'connect' - but when I print a test page -
windows pops a message 'test page failed to print' .. I also get an
error message when trying to print from an application (ie WORD)

The printer is a TOSHIBA studio 35 - and I am using the vendor
drivers.  If I try it using the PPD/ADOBE method - it works fine

If someone would like to test the driver, it can be downloaded from:
http://copiers.toshiba.com/support/drivers/GL-1010v2.shtml

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks

chris