[Samba] 3.0.6 ? and XP SP2

Samba Admin samba at brightheadtechnology.com
Thu Sep 9 18:39:37 GMT 2004

I posted a while back about problems logging in via a laptop with XP SP2 on.

Today I have found some more information (i.e. something else now doesn't
work) which should help the developers identify/solve the problem.

As far as I can see this has not been on the list.

My original problem was that having installed XP SP2 & 3.0.6-1 (as a new
install) I found a laptop, which I usually log on locally (i.e. as "this
computer") would not log into the domain ("Windows cannot
connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or
otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found.").
But my desktops, which only log into the domain, were fine.

Well while out on a client site today I wanted to log into one of the office
machines. This I did, via Remote Desktop, by doing a local login as the
domain login was showing the "Windows cannot
connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or
otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found."
Symptoms that I saw on the laptop.

Having returned to the office the desktop will no longer log into the domain
(message as above).

So having done a local login appears to be enough to stop domain logins
working - I'm presuming a registry change which is being triggered by the
new XP SP2 enhanced firewall code.

It would be good if someone out there could verify this independently.

Even better would be suggestions for a solution/work-around.

Regards

Alan